We’ve been spotting DIY necklaces all over Pinterest, and we simply adore a big statement necklace, especially a free one! We’ve even featured a very simple DIY necklace by Lisa, our Style Contributor, made from a tshirt. The t-shirt necklaces on Pinterest kept catching our eye, and we love up-cycling old jewelry or jeans, so when Erin made a t-shirt necklace and got compliments wearing it her first day, we knew we had to let you know how simple it was! We’d all been curious if it would an epic Pinterest tale, or just an epic fail. Judging by the “oohs” and “aahs” hers has elicited, we’d have to say… epic!
Don’t be fooled by the length of this story. It looks involved, but it’s simple. It’s a few steps, but an easy process. Seriously. We just wanted to make sure you had each and every step along the way!
1. Gather your supplies: a tee-shirt and scissors.
2 & 3. Cut under the arms of the t-shirt.
4 & 5. Cut off the hem of the t-shirt.
7-11. Cut strips across the t-shirt from side to side. Leave 1 inch at the side, making sure not to cut the seam. You are making loops!
12-14: Grab each loop and PULL. The harder you pull, the longer your necklace will be.
15. Your necklace. LOL. Well, it is, but you’ll make it prettier.
16-18: Take all the loops and gather them so that they make 1 big loop.
19. Take the remaining fabric and cut it into 3 different strips.
20. Lay the strips out in preparation to braid them.
21. Begin to braid the strips together, you may need to get a friend to hold one end.
22. Cut the excess fabric from the braid.
23. Wrap the braid around the part of your necklace that isn’t cut.
24. Make a knot to ensure your braided area won’t come undone.
25: The finished necklace. Wear and listen to compliments! And for more ideas, just search tee shirt necklaces on Pinterest! Enjoy!